Hey everyone, sorry I haven’t posted much recently. Been working on gathering a bunch of information that is scattered all over the internet: when to plant each crop, and when they are in season (for the Farmers Markets). It isn’t done yet, but I did want to share what’s in season for May, along with a few recipes.
Normally I like to try recipes before I share them, but I haven’t had time for all of these. If you do try some, tell me how they turn out. And if you have a favorite, share it!!!
- Blueberries: they have a short season, from mid-may, lasting about 8 weeks. Start looking for them now. Recipes: blueberry pie with almond crumble and blueberry muffins with coconut milk.
- Apricots: you’ll find them in-season until the end of July or early August. Recipes: grilled cheese with arugula and apricot jam
- Peaches: the season lasts from May into fall, so you can pace yourself Recipes: peach strudel and peach jam.
- Cherries: they have a VERY short season, lasting 4-8 weeks depending on the crop that year. You can find them in-season in May and June. Recipes: cherry ice cream with fudge ripples and barley cherry salad (I have a new love for cooking with barley, btw)
- Strawberries season has been under-way for a few weeks and lasts until late summer. Recipes (that’s assuming you don’t just eat them all fresh!!!): strawberry lemonade, strawberry broccoli & toasted coconut salad, and arugula strawberry salad.
- Summer squash is coming in and lasts until late summer or early fall. Recipes: summer squash and corn soup, zucchini ribbon salad, lasagna with zucchini ‘noodles’
Coming soon (Early summer, around June): Raspberries, blackberries, corn, tomatoes